Nancy Newport LPC, LMFT
EMDR Online Training
The Long and the Short of It:
EMDR in the Treatment of Acute and Complex Trauma
by: Nancy Newport, LPC, LMFT & Tracy Ryan Kidd, LCSW
12 hour video of a live
2 day workshop delivered by the presenters.
You have unlimited access and the videos will never expire.
This program will benefit beginning, intermediate, and advanced level EMDR-trained Psychologists, Professional Counselors, Social Workers, and Marriage and Family Therapists.
Watch these short video clips to catch a peek of the video workshop
Learn More about the Program
EMDR in the Treatment of Acute Trauma
Presented by Nancy Newport
In this highly practical,
Techniques/strategies to stabilize people in a crisis response (including first responders) will be discussed and demonstrated. Recent Events Protocol will be reviewed thoroughly and discussed using case studies and video examples. We will make the reprocessing of recent or unconsolidated trauma come alive through discussion in depth of actual cases.
Day One Learning Objectives:
- Identify a crisis response
- List the six key actions to take as a first responder in agency/private practice in the aftermath of a traumatic event
- Recognize the initial stages of PTSD, including criteria and symptoms
- Demonstrate five stabilization/grounding strategies that can be initiated immediately following a crisis response
- Identify the Recent Events Protocol: case studies of survivors of rape and other acute trauma to vivify the EMDR protocol
- Recognize blocks to EMDR processing, discuss possible intervening strategies and cognitive interweaves
- Apply several treatment strategies with children using EMDR including creative ways to produce ABS
Timed Agenda For Day 1: Acute Trauma
Hour 1: Identify a crisis response and what 6 key actions are needed as a first responder – on the scene or in the office. Review the criteria and symptoms of Acute Stress Disorder. Teach key strategies to rapidly build a therapeutic alliance following an acute trauma.
Hour 2: Five stabilization/grounding strategies that can be initiated immediately following a crisis response.
Hour 3: Recent Events Protocol, case studies of survivors of sexual assault and other acute trauma to vivify the EMDR protocol.
Hour 4: Continue in-depth EMDR case studies with video demonstration.
Hour 5: Blocks to EMDR processing; Cognitive Interweaves.
Hour 6: EMDR with children, demonstration of creative ways to do BLS.
Nancy Newport, LPC, LMFT maintains responsibility for this program and its contents in accordance with EMDRIA standards.
EMDR in the Treatment of Complex Trauma
Presented by Tracy Ryan Kidd
In this highly practical, skill-building video workshop (Day Two), Tracy Ryan Kidd, LCSW will provide an overview of how to use EMDR within each of the three stages of trauma work.
Stage 1 stabilization methods will be emphasized with several practical methods taught. Knowing when to move into Stage 2 reprocessing and how to handle problems that arise will also be covered. Experiential learning techniques and video of actual sessions in all 3 stages will be presented.
Day Two Learning Objectives:
List criteria for Complex PTSD
Identify several strategies for preparation including containment and self-soothing
Apply 15 methods for grounding in the preparation phase
Demonstrate a protocol for affect regulation skill development in the preparation phase
Recognize 11 signs of readiness to proceed to trauma processing; phases 3-8 of EMDR
Distinguish 8 methods of ordering targets
Compare over 10 different methods of addressing blocked processing including the use of cognitive interweaves, titration, and how to handle dissociation
Explain how to use the future template to build missing developmental skills such as boundary-setting, assertiveness, and interpersonal skill
Timed Agenda For Day 2: Complex Trauma
Hour 1: Teach the three stages of trauma work and apply them to the eight phases of EMDR.
Hour 2: Teach Phase 2 Preparation techniques including containment, resource development and installation, and affect regulation skill development.
Hour 3: Show video demonstrations of Phase 2 techniques with actual clients.
Hour 4: Teach 11 signs of readiness to proceed to trauma processing and different methods of ordering targets.
Hour 5: Describe methods of addressing blocked processing and show a case video to demonstrate.
Hour 6: Describe stage 3 and the use of the future template.
Tracy Ryan Kidd, LCSW maintains responsibility for this program and its content in accordance with EMDRIA standards.
Buy Now : $279
In order to obtain credits, you must take an online test and pass with a score of 75%. Participants will print their own certificate after registering at CE-Classes.com, entering a keycode, and completing an evaluation form. Once you pass the test, you will be able to print out your certificate of completion.
EMDRIA Credits: 12 EMDRIA Credits (EMDRIA Program Approval #DL08009-01, 02)
Note: Only those who have completed an EMDRIA Approved Basic Training in EMDR can receive EMDRIA credits.
This course is approved for 12 CEs by the DC Board of Social Work.
CE-Classes.com is the provider of (CEs).
Most licensing boards accept the approval of one of the following organizations. Licensed Professionals should contact their regulatory board to determine course approval.
CE-Classes.com is approved by:
- The American Psychological Association (APA) CE-Classes.com is approved by the American Psychological Association to sponsor continuing education for psychologists. CE-Classes.com maintains responsibility for this program and its content.
Florida Certification Board
- The Florida Board of Clinical Social Work, Marriage and Family Therapy and Mental Health Counseling Provider #852 BAP-Expires 3/31/2023
- The California Board of Behavioral Sciences. The California Board of Behavioral Sciences, BBS, recognizes relevant course work/training that has been approved by nationally recognized certifying bodies, such as APA, to satisfy renewal requirements.
- California Consortium of Addiction Programs and Professionals (CCAPP) Provider Number OS-12-147-0223 Expires 02-2023
- The Texas Board of Social Work Examiners – CE-Classes.com meets the requirements for acceptable continuing education
- The Texas Board of Professional Counselors – CE-Classes.com meets the requirements for acceptable continuing education
- Massachusetts Authorization Number: (TBD)
- Ohio Counselor, Social Worker and Marriage and Family Therapist Board – Provider # RCST031201
- New York Social Work Board – CE-Classes.com is recognized by the New York State Education
Department’s State Board for Social Work as an approved provider of continuing education for licensed social workers #SW-0120.
- New York Mental Health Practitioners Board CE-Classes.com, Inc. is recognized by the New York State Education Department’s State Board for Mental Health Practitioners as an approved provider of continuing education for licensed mental health counselors. #MHC-0260.
- New York Psychology Board CE-Classes.com, Inc. is recognized by the New York State Education Department’s State Board for Psychology as an approved provider of continuing education for licensed psychologists #PSY-0211
- The Florida Board of Nursing (CE Provider #: 50-4896) Expires 10/31/2024 Do not send certificates to the Florida Board of Nursing. You must keep this certificate for 4 years.
- The California Board of Registered Nursing. CEP 15647 Expires 11/30/2024.
- This course is NOT available for NBCC credit
- This training does not offer ASWB ACE credit to social workers.
Meet Nancy & Tracy
Nancy Newport, LPC, LMFT has been in private practice in Northern Virginia since 1991 and has a specialty in working with adults and children with trauma. Trained in EMDR since 1998, she is a certified EMDR therapist and an approved consultant in EMDR. As a Trauma Specialist, Nancy has successfully worked with adults of all ages and children as young as 18 months old who have been victims of long ago or recent violence, vehicular accidents, natural disasters, terrorists attacks including 9-11 trauma, school shootings, had traumatic responses to graphic and frightening movies and were eyewitnesses to scenes of violence. She has worked with firefighters and police officers involved in traumatic incidents in the line of duty and with veterans of war. She has worked with people captured behind enemy lines and victims of kidnapping. She is best known for her expertise
Her training includes certifications in EMDR, NLP and Ericksonian Hypnotherapy. Nancy is a professional presenter on Trauma and Crisis Response. She has conducted many
For more information you can go to nancynewport.com
Tracy Ryan Kidd, LCSW is the director of Virginia Family Counseling in Vienna, VA and has been in practice for over 25 years. She is a trauma specialist who uses a stage-oriented approach for the safe resolution of complex trauma. She has spent most of her career working with survivors of physical, sexual and emotional
Tracy is an Approved Consultant and Certified EMDR therapist who provides ongoing individual and group consultation to therapists in the Northern VA area. She has developed a specialty in translating highly theoretical material for her consultees into practical tools and techniques that can be used immediately in their practices.
For more information visit: virginiafamilycounseling.com
“This is an incredible idea!!! Some of us in the field of EMDR are located in rural areas hundreds of miles from cities where it would be more convenient to update our EMDR training. It costs me well over $1,200 to $1,500 dollars to go to a weekend EMDR educational opportunity in Denver, Boulder or Fort Collins, Colorado. Your program is such a fantastic opportunity to enhance our training in the wonderful world of EMDR right here where we live and practice.”
“I really enjoyed this training adventure and think I got more out of this session than any training I ever received.”
“Excellent training on crisis intervention & EMDR. I have taught the courses before. I enjoyed this a lot and learned or reframed some very good material. Thanks!”
“This was the best and most
“Great presentation. Hope more EMDR clinicians use it. It is very helpful. You did a great job. I’ve been doing this for 20 years and learned something. Great review for me and helpful for current practice. Thanks.”
“This was an outstanding seminar and I am thrilled with all the information disseminated. Thank you!”
“It is a great professional resource to have access to the work of two of the most outstanding clinicians in the DC area. Knowing that I can view their sessions at any time from any location accommodates my irregular schedule and assures that I can review sections as my work requires.”
“The case studies allowed me to move beyond presentation and visualize how these techniques would be implemented in session with my own clients. It is obvious Nancy and Tracy have a clear understanding of the subject matter and present the material with thoughtfulness, compassion
“The program was excellent! This was one of the better workshops. Thank you so much. I learned a lot and will use it in my practice. I feel excited to try it with clients where I have been a bit stuck. I am very grateful for your sharing all these wonderful tools that were concrete and not just theory.”
Newport Kidd Productions’ Policies:
There are no known conflicts of interests for this workshop.
This workshop is in compliance with the Americans Disabilities Act. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if special accommodation is required.
We do not share your name or contact information with anyone. Exceptions:
- We provide the information to the credentialing body that provides CE’s as per their requirements.
- We provide the customary information to credit card processors as needed to process your payment but we do not store your credit card info.
Newport Kidd Productions seeks to ensure equitable treatment of every person and to make every attempt to resolve grievances in a fair manner. All grievances must be sent in writing to email@example.com, and will be replied to within 5 – 10 business days. Grievances would receive, to the best of our ability, corrective action in order to prevent further problems.